Tuesday, June 5, 2012


Rhubarb, Apple Pie

It's rhubarb season! And my husband is so happy. It's one of his favourite's, so today while I was at the supermarket with my little girl we spotted some lovely big stalks of rhubarb and just had to pop them in our basket. I tossed up between a crumble or a pie, but when I saw I had apples as well, I decided to combine them and make a rhubarb, apple pie.



My favourite pie has to be apple, so I decided to move away from the ever popular rhubarb and strawberry combo, and merge my apple pie flavours with the rhubarb. I think we have a winner people! You get the tartness and sweetness from both the apples and rhubarb (which is let's face it why we love rhubarb so much), and the hint of orange is just lovely. I always put orange zest and juice in my apple pies, and decided to see how it would go with this recipe.....amazing!



I have to say this is the best pie dough I've ever made. I have learned through trial and error that the less you handle the dough the flakier the crust, and it holds it's form so much better. I know people say the secret to a goood pie dough is lard, but I just can't bring myself to do it. So I just add more good old fashioned butter, and make sure that everything is super cold. I think it turns out just as good as a butter and lard recipe.




Rhubarb, Apple Pie



4 cups chopped fresh rhubarb, 1 inch (2.5cm) cubes

2 cups of peeled, chopped granny smith apple, 1 inch (2.5cm)
cubes



1 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup all purpose flour

1/8 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp orange zest

2 tblsp orange juice

1 tblsp chopped butter

1 egg, lightly whisked

1 heaped tblsp raw sugar



PIE DOUGH


2 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 cup cold butter, cut into 1 inch cubes

1 tsp salt

3/4 cup icy cold water

 
To make the dough, put flour and salt into a large bowl or food processor. Add butter and either pulse food processor until butter is the size of peas or using a pastry cutter or a knife cut butter into flour.

Slowly add the cold water using a fork to stir until the dough forms a rough ball. You may not need all the water, you may need a touch more. Just add it bit by bit so as not to make a sloppy sticky dough, it should just come together with a few flour crumbs remaining. Form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.

For the filling, put the rhubarb, apple, flour, sugar, salt, orange zest and juice and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir to combine, set aside.

Once dough has rested in the fridge, cut in half and roll 1 half of the dough on a lightly floured bench top. Roll out to about 1/8 of an inch (3mm) thickness and large enough to cover the base of your 9inch (23cm) pie dish. Place rolled out dough in dish and let excess hang over the sides. Pour the filling in and dot with the tablespoon of extra butter. Using a pastry brush, brush the lightly beaten egg on the edge of the dough so the top piece will stick.

Take the other half of the dough and roll out just like the previous piece. Lay on top of filling and lightly press the dough together around the rim of the dish. Using a sharpe knife, cut the excess dough off by keeping the blade touching the lip of the pie dish. Then either using your fingers or a fork pinch the dough together on the edges. Brush the top of the pie with the remaining egg wash and sprinkle with the raw sugar.

Place the pie dish on a lined baking sheet and bake on the bottom rack of your oven at 425f (220c) for 15 minutes. Then turn the oven down to 350f (180c) for 45-50 minutes. Let the pie cool on a rack.



No comments:

Post a Comment