Thursday, August 2, 2012

Veggie Hash

This is a quick and easy option for breakfast, lunch or dinner really. I have recently discovered I have a pretty big intolerance to wheat and most dairy products as well, so needless to say I was struggling to find a great breakfast that didn't include soy milk or just plain old eggs. So this dish was created, and I love it!!


As usual I troll my fridge to see what I actually have on hand, and grab what I feel like that day. I had some lovely organic broccolini, mushrooms and red peppers and of course I had to add red onion which I put in almost everything! It's as easy to put together as a stir fry, takes no time at all and is absolutely delicious....I found a winner!



Veggie Hash


1/4 onion, finely diced

1/2 red pepper (capsicum), diced

1/2 bunch of broccolini (about 170g), finely diced

1 large portobello mushroom, diced

oil spray

pinch of garlic powder

pich of onion powder

salt and pepper


 
Heat a large frying pan on medium-high heat, spray with oil and add the red onions and red peppers, cook for 2-3 minutes. Add your finely diced broccolini and cook for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the garlic and onion powder and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Take off heat and set aside.

Fill a large pot with water and bring to the boil. Add 2 tablespoons of white vinegar and turn heat down to medium heat. Using a large wooden spoon stir the water until it begins to turn by it's self and slowly crack your egg into the spiralling water, cook for 3-4 minutes for soft poached egg and 5-6 minutes for a firmly poached.

Place egg on top of your veggies and sprinkle with a pich of black cracked pepper and salt.

This serves 1-2 people



Note:

By all means play around with the ingredients, if you can't find portobello mushrooms, use which ever ones you can find or like. You hate broccolini, use asparagus instead or zucchini. Add sweet potato or potato, herbs.....the possibilities are endless. You don't like poached eggs, cook them any way you like. Have fun with it.






No comments:

Post a Comment